The Church in Findochty opened for worship on 1st March 1863. Built as a United Presbyterian Church at a cost of £500, it was originally designed to accommodate 400 worshippers. It was described as “neat and commodious with little pretension to ornament” nonetheless it was “very comfortable and supplies a want, long felt by the thriving and prosperous people of Findochty”. At that time it was the only place of worship in the town.
The Church occupies an elevated position overlooking the harbour and village and was and still is an important landmark to fishermen and sailors. Before the bell was installed in 1887, the congregation was called to worship by the sound of a fog horn.
A union with the established Church of Scotland was discussed over several years and finally approved in 1929.
Along with various lay preachers the Church has had 14 ministers to date, the longest serving being the Rev. John Wesley McKee who served for 38 years from 1887 to 1925.